Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Misc Notes


Internet even more expensive here (3 baht/min!!) so this will be brief i hope. I'm about to go to a national park that might have no internet (oh the humanity!) but i'll be back in cheap internet + disposable time land soon after that. For now, here are some notes:

  • I went rock climbing today. That is me possibly upside down climbing. It was pretty cool. I was the only one in the class to do the "long climb" up 100 feet. I have blisters on my toes and limited mobility on my arms now though.
  • There clearly is not Thai version of the American with Disabilities Act. All sidewalks are discontinuous and I literally thought I broke my toe the other day from a massive stubbing. Why?
  • On a related note, the bathroom door in my current hotel is approximately 5' 9" tall. Not a good thing for a 6' person that occasional using the facilities at night. You only make that mistake once though.
  • When I checked into the hotel here, the attended killed what he said was a "dangerous" snake just outside my from door. This is the second place I've stayed at in a row that has had a snake at the front door. (I saw the other one when I was alone. It was big and green, but not sure if it was lethal or not). Now I take me flashlight with me when I'm coming home late...
  • I'm starting to master the art of eating-alone-and-looking-like-you-don't-care. I'm almost fooling myself now. Especially strong test here in Railay as everyone else here seems to be on a honeymoon.
  • Another reason to travel with a partner. I literally have a sunburn on my back that perfectly reflects/illustrates the spots on your back which you can not self-administer sunscreen. nice white arcs on the shoulders (like a windshield wider coverage pattern) over a pinkish lower-back. Ouch
  • All that lonely complaining aside, I'm actually starting to get into the soliDude groove a little. Invited myself into a beach frisbee throwing game today. Had an ice crean cone with a (honeymooning?) Canadian couple last nice.
  • Finally almost not sick.
  • Ok, must stop the baht-clock. More later. Also, when I get back to a 1 baht/min internet sight, I will post gobs of new photos...

Seeya!

-erik

ps: What happened to all the blog view comments? Anyone still reading this??

7 comments:

Dan Ciruli said...

Love the updates!

BTW - if you don't have dozens of lovely young sunscreen appliers at your beck and call, everything I've heard about Thailand must be wrong.

Maybe when you get your $1, 3 hour massages every day, you can have them use sunscreen instead of massage oil?

Anonymous said...

Your cell phone is rigged for internet access, and you already created a Twitter account, so you have everything you need for free microblogging. So add the feed to your blog and start tweeting already.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading! And...slaving away at work. Boo.

Anonymous said...

Hey SoliDude! Still reading, just grinning and not typing usually. Keep on goingg! Feel better! :) Danelle

Anonymous said...

i don't know you but this is very interesting read.. have fun be safe, don't get bite by scary snakes

Anonymous said...

I hadn't read you in a while until I just finished watching "The Beach" on TV and thought, "Oh, my god, I have to check on Erik!" Guess that's not a good movie to watch with a loved one in your neck of the woods. Quite relieved to find out that sunburn is your only nemesis for all the fun you're having. Great to hear from you - Paul

Snakes! Ewwwww!

laurita said...

At least you were alone when you got sunburned. I went on a hike with my perfectly good boyfriend a few weeks ago and still, didn't get the aforementioned back areas sunblocked. Love your posts! Keep 'um coming!