Monday, August 4, 2008

Slideshow Update

Here comes another update, but I think I will use more visual aides this time. I'm back in Phuket (just back today) and catching a flight to Malaysia in 2 days. I just spent 3 mostly good days in Khao Sok national park. Here are some of the things that I experienced there...

I did a 2 day, 1 night "trek" with these people...

The overnight, we stayed in this place...
(brief aside: this place had no bathroom (barely had a roof) so I wasn't able to collect more info on the Thai ADA for bathroom door height, but a 2nd place now has had a 5'9" bathroom. I think that might be the national standard.) It was a wonderful "raft house" in an extremely isolated spot. Gorgeous. We trekked to a cave...
we trekked into a cave... we trekked to a mountain view spot...
on the way, I swung on a vine because that's what you do in the juggle...

Speaking of trekking, I am not totally sure why they call it trekking instead of hiking here, but I believe that the presence of leeches might have something to do we it. If you are out on a hike, and you get a leech, then you are now on a trek. That is now my definition anyway. With that I can tell you that yesterday, I went on a major trek. I literally pulled about 50 leeches off of feet during the 15 miles trek....
I also pull more than a dozen off this random dog that decided to do the whole trek with me. Off his paws, nose, lips, gums...
I also nearly stepped on this poisonous snake in Khao Sok that was on the stairs to my room. The guide at the guesthouse didn't know the English word, but the Thai word for the snake translates to "Arrow of God." That doesn't sound good...

One other interesting thing. I didn't get a picture, but there are some jungle insects (might even have been cacattas?) that made this incredibly loud and constant noise. The closest thing I can think of to describe it is the sound that BART makes between the 12th St and West Oakland stations. Also sounds alot like wet mt. bike disc brakes. Was pretty cool actually.
Ok, I think I might pause it there for now. Maybe more later before I head to Malaysia. I did just post alot of new pictures here if you want to see more:
Ok, see you later.....
-erik

4 comments:

Don't call me white. said...

looks like a pretty awesome trip. pretty weird without you here. i bet thailand is weird with you there.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Leeches! Poison snakes! You ARE somewhere else...

Jakeysmom said...

Hey EP,

Nice photos---freaky about the leeches. Sent a shiver down my spine. Looks like you're having a good time and experiencing a lot of different things. Looking forward to reading more posts. =)

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for your first "epic" trek. that will be awesome!

It looks like I'll probably be heading to Japan in 3~4 weeks I'd guess, staying for 1.5~2 weeks. It doesn't look like Naomi will make it over. I doubt I can make it down to SE Asia, but maybe an "epic" trek description would up the odds.