Thursday, September 18, 2008

Worst Blog Post from Best Airport

I'm at an internet kiosk in the Bangkok airport during my 5 hr layover before my flight to Cambodia. This keyboard is terrible, so excuse my typing please. (it sometimes just starts typing in Thai...see:ำพรา ยฟเำ รห แนนส)

Anyway, aside from this keyboard, this is perhaps the best airport ever to have a 5 hr layover. Some reasons:
  • massage at airport at minimal mark-up from going rate. do i actually need to list any other reasons or are you already as sold as me...(keyboard has no question mark....grrrr)
  • airport is about 1 year old, so clean, big, neato,fancy etc.
  • endless opportunities to check out old-white-man with young-thai-woman couples and contemplate the social, moral and creepizodial aspects of these relationships.
  • food is pretty good; has a starbucks.

OK, so Singapore actual is a better airport (better food, more english, and free internet with real keyboards) but that first bullet trumps all, and this is the better place to be. I got a foot massage here earlier (by accident really: i ordered a shoulder massage which apparently is 30 minutes on feet, 30 on shoulders...) and it was awesome. Maybe I can catch a later flight and have another!

Fly into Phenom Phen tonight and need to find hotel and then find a phone set up (Skype or new SIM card) as it sounds like I might have a phone interview tonight for a long term consulting gig that would start as soon as i get back. PP sounds pretty wild west and is probably the most dangerous place i'm going through on my trip (but still probably safer than most US cities...). Should be a bit of a culture shock after friendly, mellow, easy Thailand...

I'll try to post again once I settle in and get to a real computer with a real keyboard...

until then, ะฟาำ แฟพำ นด ันีพหำสอำห.

-erik

No comments: