Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Almost a big screw-up

Another quick pictureless blog from an airport...(I have sooo many great pictures too! grrr...). Flew from Mulu to Miri today. Suppose to fly from Miri to Singapore tomorrow and arrive a few hours before Katie. Or so I though. I stopped by the AirAsia ticket office after landing in Miri to see what they had to say about the Phuket (Thailand) situation. They didn't know. But they did take the opportunity to tell me that they don't fly from Miri to Singapore tomorrow! Upon closer review, I must have booked the wrong date, and was scheduled to go the following day - a day after Katie gets in! Oh, she wouldn't have liked that! Anyway, $40 later, I got a seat on the flight that goes out today (in about 45 minutes...) so I'll be there a day before Katie now. That was a close one. Probably my biggest travel goof so far, and only a $40 penalty (and I actually get there earlier...) so I guess that's not too bad after almost 2 months of travel...

Mulu was amazing, as I said before. It is mainly all about the caves in Mulu, but the rainforest there is pretty awesome too. I believe Mulu has the worlds largest cave passage, the worlds largest cave chamber and one of the worlds longest underground rivers. And it was a cave (the cave passage one actually) that has approx 2-3 million bats in it that come out at night to hunt. They stream out like smoke - it is pretty unreal. I got alot of nice pictures (and videos) or that. Aside from that, caves are great, but don't make for great pictures, though I tried. In any case kopefully I'll have a change to upload some shots tomorrow in Singapore.

Final note: I didn't get any leeches at all today!!! (that I'm currently aware of...)

Gotta run. Really don't want to miss this flight...

-erik

1 comment:

Dan Ciruli said...

I'm sure Katie will do a FULL leach-inspection when you see her!