Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Last Days in Borneo

It's not to often that you sit down to check your email and you get shat on by a (very large) gecko. But that just happened. Ah, Borneo. I have been here for about 4 weeks now and I'm pretty ready to leave. That said, when I think about all the things I've down, I really wouldn't have skipped a thing. The natural beauty and outdoor activities here are never ending. Culturally and culinary, it is not super exciting, but the nature...wow. Anyway, just another quick, pictureless blog from an expensive, slow computer. I'm in Mulu National Park today (day 3 of 4 here) and its amazing like everything else here.

Some quick notes:
  • What the hell is going on in Thailand?! Katie and I are suppose to fly into Phuket (which was shut down for several days because of protests) in about a week! I wish those Buddhists would more passively resist...
  • I am sooo ready to be done with leeches. Had some extreme leech adventures on my visit to Long Pasia and then again some here in Mulu yesterday (including one that settled in for dinner way to close to the area that no man wants a leech...)
  • After a week in Long Pasia, where the toilets ranged from delux (shared, squating pot-a-potie) to basic ("walk that way, make sure you are downsteam of where we do the dishes") I've very excited to have my own sitting, flush toilet again. I sometime just going in there to hang out just for fun.
  • Speaking of toilets (sorry...) the "jungle toilet" is actually a little tough here because you are hard pressed to find a sq. foot of earth without a least a dozen insects (many that look strange and possibly nasty...). Certainly doesn't make you want to stay and read the paper...
  • Speaking of insects, there are alot here. There is pretty much always an insect on your arm and it is pretty much always one you've never seen before.
  • I've barily had any alcohol for the last month because Malaysia is muslim and they aren't into that. In fact I gather that muslims don't drink or eat pork and can't touch dogs. Those are 3 of the most important things in my life! Guess I can rule out converting to Islam...

OK, gotta run. really want to wash this gecko guano off me. Hopefully I can post again and share some of the incredible pictures I've gotten withing the next few days to a week.

Seeya!

-erik

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I was all ready to take a trip like yours, but I gotta have my nice private sit-down (bugless!) toilet! :-)