Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kinabula

Well, I’m alive, but only just. The climb up Kinabula was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. And I never want to do anything that hard again. It was actually going pretty well up until the last 2K. I didn’t get altitude sickness or anything, but the thin air above 12,000 feet made ever step a struggle. But I made it. I have a certificate that sez so. Pay no mind to the fact that I don’t have any pictures at the summit (it was cloudy, raining…) or that my GPS mysteriously stopped working (too close to satellite?). Any suggestions that I paid the guide 100 ringgit to give me the certificate are slanderous!

Now I’m (appropriately…) at a hot springs resort near the base of the mountain. It is a little busy here during the day (the tour buses roll in early, out late…) but peaceful in the evening. And the tubs are just what I needed. I almost slept in it last night. Still can barely walk though.

No comments: