Monday, August 25, 2008

Long Pasia

I'm in a remote village at the end of a 4 hr 4WD dirt road. And there is (one, very slow) internet connection here! I'm not sure if i'm excited or mortified. (No pictures for now because of internet speed...) Anyway, very nice and very simple here. Almost all the 400 residents are farmers or hunters. I am certainly the only "white guy" here, although they are setting up a homestay program (that's what i'm doing) so they get approx 100-200 visitors a year.
The local people here are formerly head-hunters but are now Christians. (Boy though missionaries got arround). When I told my guide I was American, he got very excited about Billy Grahm. The drive here on the rough road in the pouring rain, with lighting and thumber with Christian rock music blaring is certainly an experience to remember.

Today I'm touring the village and resting. I met the "chief" this morning. The food is a little strange of course (I had deer soup, tapioca leafs and rice last night...) but so far so good. Add my host family is very nice, with the wife, Magdelana, speaking some English. Tomorrow I go off with one guide and one porter (not the beer type...) for 3 days/2 nights of jungle treking. I think i am suppose to sleep in a hammock or something. I think we are bring some food, but I think we are also planning to eat what we find/kill in the jungle. Will be interesting.

Anyway, just a brief hello. Don't want to monopolize the whole towns internet anymore. Should resurface again a few days.

-erik

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Hi Erik,
Those are solid adventures dude! Stef said she exchanged some emails with you and told me about your blog. I'm really enjoying reading about your travels. Hope you continue to have a great time.
Jerry Fetzer